Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Writing Prompt

Hey everyone! It is finally here! I finished the story for this writing prompt! Hallelujah!
 
 
Down. Down. Down. Down. The elevator continued to go farther into the depths of the earth. I stood like that for what felt like hours. Finally, the elevator stopped. I held my breath. What could possibly be on the other side of this elevator door? The door creaked open feebly. I took a tentative step into the room that lay ahead of me.
"Where am I?" I whispered and gazed at everything in front of me.
Tables upon tables of books stood together, shelves lining the walls. Stacks of books lay on the floor, some opened and scattered around the wood paneled ground. All of the books had a thick layer of dust coated on top of them. I walked up to a random pile of books and ran my finger in the dust. I picked up the leather bound book and inspected it. I blew on the cover of the book and immediately regretted the decision. I coughed and dropped the book. The book opened on the floor and I peered at the strange script inside. I had never seen the language before but I spoke the words slowly. The words felt strange on my tongue but they also felt right. I glanced up. A man wearing small round spectacles looked curiously at me.
"It has called for you," He whispered. On a far wall, a strange light glowed dimly then burst into a rainbow of color. A large crack split through the wall, forming a door. The mysterious man pushed at the door and the light burst out, blinding me. I squinted my eyes and took a step back. Then I heard it.
A deep song echoed from the door, faint and lonely. It was a cry from the depths of the earth, a cry for freedom and love. Another voice joined the first voice, unlike the first, this was high, promising joy and companionship. They joined together creating a perfect, soulful harmony. They deepened and raised, they called together in acapella but then slowly dwindled into a muted whisper.
They had lost their freedom. My eyes burned from the searing light, but I couldn't turn away from the duet. I needed to help them. But then out of the silent murmur of voices, came a strong cry. Three more voices joined the cry, and a whole group merged into the voices. The songs floated from the door and my throat choked up with emotions. Tears streamed down my cheeks and the blinding light faded and the voices muted. The man had disappeared.
I couldn't take my eyes away from the door. I ran toward the door and hesitated when I came to the threshold. I stared at the open door, but couldn't see through the light. I stepped over the threshold and into the future ahead of me.
I gasped and shot up in my bed. My face was wet from tears and I took a deep breath as I wiped them off. We had moved to this house yesterday and when I had gone exploring, I had found an elevator, but I hadn't gone in it yet. I threw off my blankets and sprinted to the elevator that I had found in my closet. I ripped open the closet door and pressed the elevator button. The elevator dinged and the door opened. I thought back on my dream that was still sharp in my mind. I thought of the song and the passion in their voices. I stepped into the elevator and pressed the button and it started going down.
 



2 comments:

  1. Great job! that was really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I like it. I like how you didn't make that the whole story, how it was a dream.
    -peace

    ReplyDelete