Tuesday, August 23, 2016

My Day without Electronics - Book Feels, Single Player Board Games, and Forts

Hi everyone!
If you go to my other blog, then you know that yesterday I went the full day without any electronics.
Why?
Because Jaclynn and I were talking about how awful it is that we're so obsessed with our phones! We decided to try to change that for one day.
It was horrible yet awesome. We only had a few rules such as we could text our moms, use our phones for cameras, watch TV only if we were with someone, etc etc for us to use.
It was really, really hard. Like. Really. We couldn't use our phones, the Internet, or watch TV! Here is my constant hourly update of what happened yesterday.
(Any remarks like this aren't something I had wrote to begin with. They're just remarks I'm making now.;D)

12-8:00 am
*sleepy sleep sleep*

9:00 am
It's nearly 9:00 am, and I am constantly holding back my hand from grabbing my phone. I had no idea that it was going to feel this...irritating to not check my email! WHAT ABOUT COMMENTS, POSTS, AND PINTEREST?!
*groans*

Me- "Today is the day I internally die."
Sister- *rolls her eyes*

10:00 am
My mom literally just texted. I had a hard time not even looking at my email app- lest it tempt me! LOL!
I've been reading so far, so that has put me outside my desire to use my phone...I should do school now though. It should go faster now that I won't be texting Jaclynn or Pinteresting...
*sigh*

This is so much harder now that I'm not doing something fun!
SEND HELP!!!

I can only imagine how much worse this is gonna get.

(While I did school I found this funny sentence in my math-
Soooo, I had to draw it!!!XD
I'm weird, but it's what I saw in my head when I read that sentence. LOL!XD)
 
11:00 am
By this time I am slowly decaying...school is pushing me and making me want to just use my phone.
But I must stay strong---ish
 
12:00 pm
Reading, reading, reading. This book is so good I don't know if I'll even miss my phone! I've taken a break from school, but I should go study for a test.
(Which my sister has to help me with! LOL!)
 
1:00 pm
Sister- "Hitting me makes me angry! And then everything is ruined!"
(Just so you know, I didn't hit her, I just accidentally whacked her on the cheek with my pen.XD)
She's weird.
(She was also "helping me" with my studying...she was acting crazier than I was! LOL!)
Me- "Just help me, and I won't hurt you!"
(LOLOL! This is literally how we talk to each other.XD)My sister is insane right now. She was just laughing like a crazy person!XD
 
I'm really insanely curious what Jaclynn is doing...
(My sister wrote this-)Emma started talking like Yoda and gyrating on the floor.
(Just to clear up if anyone looks up what "gyrating" means in the dictionary-
move or cause to move in a circle or spiral, especially quickly-- ooorrrr the other definition-- dance in a wild or suggestive manner- I was doing the first one. I WAS NOT DANCING WEIRDLY!XD)
 
2:00 pm
Wow, it's 2 already! I spent a lot of time reading, but now I wanna try something different--
 
3:00 pm
I made a fort!
It's so fun! I brought a fan to keep me cold, and I'm getting closer to finishing my book! Who needs electronics?! Not me! I've got book feels to keep me company- and my dog...;)
 
4:00 pm
I finished my book (Ever by Gail Carson Levine because I'm sure you're all dying to know) and- Agh. I got all misty eyed. *sniff*
But now that my book is finished, I'm gonna have to find something else to do where I'm not dying to use the Internet or my phone... *sigh*
Maybe it's time to do some drawing...
(And I drew the Jellybean Hunter drawing.XD)
 
This is getting harder as I lose interest in what I am doing... I have to figure out how to not become so distracted!
 
5:00 pm
It's getting harder to hold out against the enemy...
...It's brutal, relentless. Our troops have little chance of holding out...
...WE'RE UNDER ATTACK!!!
The enemy is too close to counter!
 
6:00 pm
It's getting bad, I've resorted to playing SINGLE player board games.
My sister has shunned me and my rations are low. SEND ME HEEELP!
Once again, I wonder what my comrade, Jaclynn, is doing on the other blood stained battleground. I pray she be alive by sunrise.
 
7:00 pm
Fries. Writing. Dog. Fort.
I'm having a good time. Except writing is hard...
I'm pretty much living in Hermitville.
 
8:00 pm
I'm noticing the fact that the sun is setting earlier, which means fall is coming!!! Ahh!
Anway, my 24 hrs are coming to a close, but not quickly enough! I'm in my fort still, my dog has left(she's so mean), and the light from my computer shines an eerie light. Lovely. Perfect.
I JUST WISH I COULD CHECK MY EMAIL!!
And read posts to inspire me to write. UGH! Go Teen Writers made a post and Studio C posted a video. Woe is me!!!
 
9:00 pm
My mom, Kendra, and I are watching the Dick van Dyke show, and we were waiting to watch the next episode, and I felt so bare without my phone. BLEAH! So close to the next day... LOL!
 
10:00 pm
Nothing new... I think the worst has passed. I'm just eager for tomorrow. I WANNA READ BLOGS AND MY COMMENTS. I hope I sleep through the whole night super quickly!!! LOL!
 
11:00 pm
Now I get to go to sleep and wake up to do my normal routine- although I do think I wanna keep up the habit of not using my phone ALL throughout the day because I have better things to do! LOL!
P.S. I CAN'T WAIT TO CHECK MY E-MAIL- IS IT NOTICEABLE???
 
12:00 am
My heart jumps a bit in my chest as I sleep. It's like it knows that I'm allowed to use my phone now.
***
LOL! So yeah, I had a super fun day, even though it was AWFUL at the same time! I was so excited to read my emails today that I had a dream that I read them and texted Jaclynn...XD Weird... LOL!
I hope you enjoyed reading about my day! I would have rated it an 8 1/2 out of 10 stars day. I had a good time regardless of not using my phone or anything like that, so that outweighed most sadness and irritation.XD LOL!
-Emma-
Are you obsessed with your phone or the Internet?;) Have you ever tried to go a day without it?

34 comments:

  1. This post was hilarious. XD
    Now I am inspired to do a technology free day-do I dare?
    We'll see.
    ~Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you! It was really great, I would recommend it!;)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  2. LOL, this was such a funny post! I love the pictures of you. XD Sounds like you found fun things to do even without screens... maybe I'll try this sometime... :P

    -Clara <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went to camp I had no technology at all! No iPods, phones, no nothing! For a whole week! I survived though! 😂
    Bella

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I told Jaclynn... GOOD FOR YOU!!! *Double thumbs up*

    I struggle with this too. I don't have a phone, but I do have a laptop - in fact, I'm using it to write this comment. ;) I try to limit myself to one hour of internet per day, and if I watch something, it's usually with my brother or parents. And every Sunday it's no screens at all - even for writing.

    I find it easier to resist the pull of the laptop if I have a project to work on. Like, right now, I'm working on sewing a quilt. Cutting out my fabric and sewing the blocks together has distracted me from wanting to check my email, blog, and/or Pinterest. ;)

    Taking a screen break is definitely a good practice of self-control! Good job. :)

    ~Lizzy


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!:D Those seem like good guidelines to have! Yeah, I see how that would help! Thanks again!;)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  5. Oh. Wow. I read Jaclyns post and I just... DIED. SHE STARTED SINGING WEAIRD VERSIONS OF THE MUPPETS SONGS AND QUOTING THINGS IN WEIRD BOICES - WHILE LAYING ON THE FLOOR!!
    Good job keeping your head on, Emma.
    IF I EVER DID THAT I WOULD NEVER BE ABLE TO RESIST THE TEMPTATION TO CHECK MY E-MAIL!!!! MY E-MAIL IS MY LIFEE!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I read her post- she's crazy!;) Thanks! LOL! It was the hardest part, definitely!!
      -Emma-

      Delete
  6. Ha! This was really fun to read, Emma! Going without the internet/phones is really hard...I managed to survive 5 days without it on vacation though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Grace! I was hoping it would be! LOL! Yeah, it is! Oh wow! That's awesome!;)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  7. on the trip to CA I went days without it, but now all I can do is a check in the morning, and check in the evening, and maybe write a blog post in the afternoon :p
    Most crazily, ~Olive

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! This was hilarious, Cookie! XD I love how we both were on the floor at some point during the day doing something insane. XD
    ~Jaclynn~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thanks, Dee! Right? There were some incidences of lying on the floor that I didn't put in here- I'm sure.XD Lots of times that I was cuddled with blankets and being super sleepy, too...XD
      -Emma-

      Delete
    2. LOL! I believe it! We're ALWAYS on the floor XD
      I also sat at my computer desk staring miserably into nothingness.... BUT IT WAS ALL WORTH IT!!! (I'm literally laughing right now)
      ~Jaclynn~

      Delete
    3. LOLOL! Yeah!XD Wow, I kind of expected that though...XD XD
      -Emma-

      Delete
  9. I love the jellybean drawing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL! "I pray she be alive by sunrise." XD I wanna try this now... except I don't have a phone, so maybe the computer...
    I've read Ever! Except it was a long time ago, so I kinda forgot what it was about... I remember I liked it! :)
    Forts are awesome, my sisters and I took it to the next level a few years ago by making a pirate ship...with chairs. And bandanas, because you can't be a pirate without a bandana! :)
    <3 , IrishAG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You should!:) Oh, that is so cool!:D
      -Emma-

      Delete
  11. I think I am going to try this, but a little bit differently. Only use technology if I'm doing something productive, such as writing, editing a YouTube video, making a blog post, etc.
    At one of the camps I went to this summer, we weren't allowed to have technology with us. If you brought it on the bus, they took it before we got to camp, and gave it back after. We didn't even know what time it was unless we sneaked a look at a counselor's phone. We were thinking about investing in a cabin watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great! I think using technology is fine as long as you are using it to do something good!;) Oh, wow! That's crazy!
      -Emma-

      Delete
  12. Ooh, now I want to do this! Have you ever been to a week long summer camp? I think at most of them you can't even bring a phone. On the packing list for mine it lists things not to pack, and cell phones are on there about five times. It's not hard to give it up there, though, mostly because you are doing other fun things like swimming, crafts, and hiking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have! But back when I did the camp, I don't think I even owned a phone!;)
      Oh wow! Yeah, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard if you were constantly with friends and doing activities!:)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  13. Huh. I'd use my phone more if I had a newer one... but what you can do with a 4 is limited. And I babysit. And have two extracurriculars, not counting piano. And then I do other things...

    Literally, I mainly text my friends, update my goodreads whenever I hit a good stopping point in the book, and read on the kindle app- unless I'm listening to an audiobook.... so...

    I actually usually entertain myself by reading, talking in different voices, and acting like I have different personalities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh...I remember the days of 4's... I think my last phone was one of those!;) It seems like you have a moderately busy life to keep up with!;) LOL!
      -Emma-

      Delete
    2. I have a crazy life. *looks at clock* I've got babysitting soon...

      I got old Han Solo in POP! form. He still lives.

      Delete
    3. Oh, that's so cool! Congrats! Jaclynn has him, and he's really cute!:)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  14. I did one of these electronic-free days a little while ago and ended up reading two books because I didn't know what else to do. XD

    This was so interesting to read! You got quite a lot done, actually. o.O

    // katie grace
    a writer's faith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Oh wow! I was tempted to just keep reading, but I wanted to make the post interesting....not just- FOR TWENTY FOUR HOURS I READ. JUST THAT. XD LOL!
      Thank you, Katie!:)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  15. "My heart jumps a bit in my chest as I sleep. It's like it knows that I'm allowed to use my phone now."
    HAHA!! I absolutely loved your post! Really, I gotta try this...

    (By the way, could you give me your Pinterest username/link to your account? I know you have one, I just can't find it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thank you so much! I'm sorry this took me forever to reply to, I'm like never on my computer, so I couldn't get the link until now!:)
      Here ya go!
      https://www.pinterest.com/pinkiepiegirlie/
      -Emma-

      Delete