Wednesday, September 7, 2016

The Ultimate Tip for All Artists

Hi everyone!
I've had this tip in my head for the longest time, it's always been my biggest piece of advice to give to anyone. Writer, artist, person with a dream. EVERYONE!
Here's the shining tip in all of its splendor....
The best way to get better at anything is to keep doing it.

I've always been one of the people who has told everyone that practice makes perfect. I firmly believe that. I wouldn't be anywhere I was today with my art if I hadn't continued to draw and keep on going. You never really think about that, it's just sort of something that's so obvious it doesn't seem like it's important. But it's true.
Lately, I've been thinking about my writing. Sometimes it seems overwhelmingly stupid, so riddled with problems. My story is no doubt all over the place, it's unoriginal, cringe-worthy, like, please, no. I can also feel that way about my art. I see my future far ahead and I go- there is no way. There's no way that I'll ever be good enough to actually be the kind of artist I want to be. No way I will ever go that far.
I think about artist's legacies that they've left.
I think about the insanely original stories that people like George Lucas or J.K. Rowling have created.
And I can lose hope, telling myself I'll never be that good. I make too many mistakes. I'm way too far behind.
But the truth is that if I don't keep going, there is no hope. There is no chance if I stop now! The only way I could fail is to not try at all.
You have to gain the experience to become better! You have to make all of the mistakes to actually acheive something good.
God has given me a talent. But if I had never done any work to foster that talent, I'd still be drawing this-
(oh the horrorrrrr....)


Now, to quote Captain Rex...
(not mine...credit to whoever owns it!:D)
 
So, if you're dealing with a rough patch in your art, just know that the only way to get better is to make those mistakes. Learn from them. Practice does make perfect.:)
-Emma-

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Emma. This is really good to hear.
    <3 , IrishAG

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is SO true and SO inspiring, Emma! Thank you for sharing this - I'm struggling with my story and this really helped.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Grace! I'm sure whatever is wrong, you'll be able to fix it! :D Good luck!
      -Emma-

      Delete
  3. This is so true! I recently compared something I drew 2 years ago to a redesign of that character drawn last month. The old version was cringe worthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, yeah! I love doing that to see just how much I've grown!:)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  4. Lately I've not really written because... i think of all the famous storytellers of the world, and I'm like, "They've already done it, and my writing will never be like theirs!"

    But the thing is, My writing will never be like theirs.

    Because it's mine. It's my crazy thoughts mixed up and put on paper.

    LOL that drawing.. it's something....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I tell myself and others! I was just telling Jaclynn to not wish she wrote like someone else because there is already one of that person, so there doesn't need to be two. Plus, the fact that there needs to be a her in the world, too.;) Keep on writing, AA!:D
      -Emma-
      P.S. Right? I was going through some of my old drawings, looking for one that would fit, and I saw that one and was like- Yes. This one is terrible. It will do. XD The crazy thing is, I used to love drawing like that... *shudders*
      -Emma-

      Delete