Friday, February 26, 2016

How to Draw BB-8 - A Tutorial

Hi everyone!
I am here with the tutorial for drawing BB-8! But before I start, I need to know which character you want to learn how to draw next from The Force Awakens!:) I'm doing these tutorials trilogy by trilogy, so right now it's TFA.:)
So, Kylo Ren? Finn? Poe? General Hux? First Order Stormtrooper?
I can't think of who else is in TFA! LOL!
 
Okay, on to the tutorial!
(I have no idea where my reference picture went, so...oh, well!;D)
I started with a circle, for BB-8's body. It's not a perfect circle, but it works.;)
Next, add a smaller half circle slightly overlapping the circle.:) 
I add a little circle for his lens. 
Then I started doing his details, which consist of varying stripes on the top of his head and bottom. Also, don't forget to draw his smallest lens! 
I finished the rest of his details, adding the squares and lines around his lenses.:) 
Now that I'm done drawing his "face", I make the circle/ovals of his body. 
Then add all of the extra things. I really don't think that these need to be perfectly accurate, since the shapes and compartments are hard to distinguish.:) 

Now that I have finished all of his compartments, I add the lines that connect the circles on his body.:) 
Then the dots on his body and his antennae on his head.
(Make sure it's not bent!;))
Now that he was finished completely with the drawing, I penned him in.
I colored in his metallic-gray parts. 
Then all of his orange! 
Then I used gray to line the lines on his body and head, and I colored in his "eyes". 
Finishing minimal shading on the ground and droid, our BB-8 is finished!:) He didn't turn out perfectly, but he's still cute!:)
***
I hope you liked the tutorial, and don't forget to comment who you want to see next!:)
-Emma-
P.S. Anika over at Anika's Avenue has a really fun blog about writing and books and some other things.:) I recommend you check it out!:D


13 comments:

  1. Awww! He's so cute and realistic! You did an amazing job, Emma! :D

    -Clara <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! it never ceases to amaze me whenever i see your drawings

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! He looks perfect to me! Who you should do next? Hmm.... I think you should try Chewie, he's one of my next favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the suggestion!:D Since Chewie doesn't look any different in TFA than he did in the Original Trilogy, I'll probably save him for the OT series.:)
      -Emma-

      Delete
  4. Gah, BB-8 is so utterly adorable! (Lol, I bet you get that a lot from Jaclynn.) ;)
    Wonderful drawing! Personally, I would've left it at the pencil stage, because I love that sketchy, artsy look. But he looks great colored in, too! :)
    If you do another tutorial, I request Kylo Ren. :D

    ~Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Thankfully, Jaclynn has calmed down (at least with me) about BB-8.;) Thank you! I used to leave practically all of my drawings as pencil sketches, but now I make them look more polished and usually always have them colored in.:) Ooh! Yay! I'll do Kylo Ren next then!:D
      -Emma-

      Delete
    2. Heehee! I can't wait! :D

      ~Lizzy

      Delete